Security Guard Training – Washington State

security guard wa

In order to become a security guard in the state of Washington you are required to be licensed by the Washington State Department of Licensing and go through training. Applicants for security guard licensing must satisfy state with the following licensing and submission requirements.

Unarmed private security guard requirements:

All individual unarmed private security guards must be:

  • At least 18 years of age or older.
  • The applicant will need to be a resident of United States citizen or resident alien.
  • Employed by, or have an employment offer from, a licensed private security guard company.

To be licensed, you must:

  • Have no criminal convictions that directly relate to your capacity to perform the duties of a private security guard or that hinder public safety. (See Recommended Sanctions for more information about criminal convictions.)
  • Complete the pre-assignment training requirements, which will prepare the future security guard to work within the field (Unarmed guard training material is available here).

How to apply

Apply directly to the security guard company you wish to work for.
Submit all of the following:

Armed private security guard requirements:

All individual armed private security guards must:

  • Be licensed as an unarmed private security guard.
  • Be at least 21 years of age to obtain a state license.
  • Have a current firearms certificate issued by the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission. View their website for a list of Firearm Instructors.

How to apply

Apply directly to the security guard company you wish to work for.
Submit all of the following:

  • A completed Private Security Guard License Application.
  • A non-refundable application fee. (Click here for the application. Fees: New unarmed applicant – $111. Remember to send your completed form with a check or money order payable to the:
    Washington State Treasurer, to:
    Public Protection Services
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9048
    Olympia, WA 98507-9048. The Washington State Department of Licensing processes applications within a 60-day period).
  • 1 completed fingerprint card.
  • If you’re an alien resident, proof of your alien firearm license.
  • There will also be a valid SS# submitted with the application.

Fees: Security guards

Application fees

  • Private security guard company license – $350
  • Unarmed private security guard license – $111
  • Armed private security guard endorsement – additional fee  – $10
  • Take certified trainer exam – $25
  • Transfer – $25

Change company principal (qualified owner or operator of the company) $100

License renewal fees

  • Private security guard company: Renewal $300 – Late renewal: $400
  • Private Security Guard: $85 – Renewal Late renewal: $90

*Note: Once accredited, licensees are responsible for renewing their license ahead of the expiration date determined by the state. Late renewal fee isn’t required if you’re submitting a renewal with a transfer or rehire application.

References: WA State DL

6 Comments on Security Guard Training – Washington State

  1. Do I need the Armed/Unarmed Security license in Washington State if I have the Oregon State Armed/Unarmed Security license? Can it transfer over to get the Washington State license if I pay the fee? Can I use the Oregon DPSST card to work Armed/Unarmed, Private security in the State of Washington? What are the rules and guidelines? Thanks.

    Loss Prevention Officer,
    Michael Fox.

  2. If a security company states in its job announcement that an applicant must “already” have their security guard certificate, how do you obtain that certificate if the law requires that you be either employed or have an offer of employment in order to obtain your certificate? Isn’t this a catch 22 situation?

    • No. This just implies that the company in question is not looking for someone who is completely new or with no card at all. It can take a pretty long time for the licence to go through and come back to you approved. That employer most likely needs a spot filled immediately and need a guard with one on hand that can just be transferred in their companies name. Some employers have a certified trainer and test handler on site that works for them. While it is very helpful, it can be very expensive to have one around. If said company has a certified person on site, they can issue you a test, score it, and give you a temporary Guard Card to get you working as soon as possible.

  3. If I’m currently a LEO, and seeking to relocate, and want to apply for a armed security position in WA, do I still need to gorder through the licensing procedure? And just like what Mr. Dennis Mason mentioned above, announcement for job requires to already have one but the law says otherwise. Need your assistance, thank you

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.