In the State of Michigan, security guards and security guard agencies are governed by the Private Security Business and Security Alarms Act and are required by law to be certified in accordance with the Department of Labor and Economic Growth (DELEG), Bureau of Commercial Services.
Anyone who wishes to be licensed as a security guard in the State of Michigan, must meet and maintain the following requirements:
- Must be at least 25 years old.
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent GED.
- Applicant must have no history of felony convictions and have no misdemeanor convictions within the past five years involving among other – two or more alcohol related offenses, assault, or illegally using, carrying or possessing a dangerous weapon.
- Applicant has not been dishonorably discharged from any branch of the U.S. Military.
- Applicant has a Michigan office location and resident manager.
Candidates should also fulfill one of three experience prerequisites:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in police force management or industrial security.
- Two years of full-time experience with an authorized security guard firm or as a security supervisor for a private business.
- Have a minimum of 36 months of expertise working for a non-public security guard agency business in another state ; or served in a supervisory capacity for at least four years with a rank higher than patrolman in a licensed security guard agency.
- Functioned as a full-time licensed police officer for a city, county, state or the federal government for at least four years.
The applicant is required to complete the licensing application application forms, available here.
To receive your security guard license, you must submit to FBI criminal history background check. The fee is $49.25.
- Applicant must submit a fingerprint card with a fee of $16.00. (Contact Integrated Biometric Technology (IBT) to schedule an appointment to obtain and process your fingerprints. Call IBT at 1-866-226-2952 or log on www.ibtfingerprint.com for fingerprint appointment scheduling).
- Applicant must submit 2 recent passport size photos.
- Occupation Confirmation Documents (make duplicates as needed) should be completed by employers to confirm applicant’s qualifying experience.
- Applicant must submit five personal references from people who have known you for a period of at least five years.
- Applicant must submit copy of driver’s license.
The last step is to submit your security guard license for application to DELEG. It takes about 3-4 months for your application to be licensed.
Security guard permits are valid for 24 months from the date of issuance before coming up for renewal.
I would like to apply for a michigan security license. What must I do/have to get one?