In the state of New Hampshire the Permits and Licensing Unit is responsible for licensing all security guards and security agencies throughout the state. In order to be eligible to receive a license, the state of New Hampshire requires its prospective security guards to:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- U.S. citizenship or New Hampshire residency is not required
- Complete all forms which have been submitted as per the Administrative Procedures Act, and present in person to the Permits and Licensing Unit.
- Applicant must list three persons, unrelated to him or her, of whom an inquiry can be made as to their reputation.
- Respond to all required questions in your application for Security Guard Employee. Failing to do so will postpone the processing of your submitted forms.
- Again, you must deliver your application in person to: Department of Safety, Room 106 (Permits and Licensing), 33 Hazen Drive,Concord, NH. Applications are processed within 14 days of receipt. If you don’t receive a response after three weeks, then call (603) 223-3873.
- Applicant must submit to a criminal background check
- Applicant must submit to fingerprinting. *Two sets of fingerprints are required of applicants applying for armed security guard license
- Once a year weapons qualification is required for armed security officers
- The applicant for an armed security position must satisfy minimum requirements in the use of firearms at least once annually, including 4 hours associated with training in firearm techniques and safety.
*First time armed applicants will need to call (603) 271-3575 to schedule an appointment for fingerprints prior to arrival.
- Not required.
- The training in New Hampshire may differ among companies however, all providers must instruct you in accordance with New Hampshire law.
Individual license – $150.00
Criminal background check – $25.00
Armed guard fingerprinting fee (for individual and employee licenses) – $30.00
Licenses shall be valid for 2 years after the date of issue and shall be renewed every 2 years thereafter.