The state of Montana normally requires its future security guards submitting an application for license to:
- Be 18 years old for unarmed guards ; 21 years old for armed guards
- Applicant must be a citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States
- Applicant must have a high school education or its equivalent
- Applicant must be employed by a Montana state licensed security or proprietary company. The hiring company must train their unarmed guards. A basic training conducted may include the following subjects: Observation skills ; legal aspects ; incident response ; report preparation ; patrol and observation ; First Aid overview.
- Applicant must successfully pass an FBI and Montana Department of Justice (DOJ) background check
- Applicant must submit application with all required information and fees
- Applicant must submit a full-face passport-type photograph of head and shoulders
- Applicant must submit a completed fingerprint card. Upon request, the Montana Board of Private Security office will mail you (*see contact info below) a fingerprint card and self-addressed envelope. Fingerprint cards are also readily available from most local law enforcement agencies and the Montana DOJ.
Send the completed fingerprint card along with a check or money order made payable to the “Montana Department of Justice” and mail it to Montana Criminal Records, 303 North Roberts, PO Box 201403, Helena MT 59620-1403 (plse check with your local post office and include accurate postage prior to mailing).
FEES FOR LICENSURE:
Application fee: $25
Fingerprint Card Fee: $29.25
(please note that all fees are non-refundable)
DO NOT SEND CASH
*MONTANA BOARD OF PRIVATE SECURITY
301 South Park Avenue, 4th Floor
PO Box 200513
Helena, Montana 59620-0513
Phone: (406) 841-2348 Fax: (406) 841-2309
Applicants requesting armed security guard status in the state of Montana are required to have a higher amount of training than the unarmed security guard, since they will be armed with a weapon. The security guard armed training will include:
- Training in legal and ethical issues
- Training in the state laws involving the use of force
- Limited types of arrest
- Detainment of suspects
Applicants requesting armed status must also successfully pass a target and marksmen training, administered by a Board Certified Firearms Instructor. A firearms training completion certificate must be submitted with the application to the Montana Board office.
When the application is complete, Board staff will process and issue the required permits. Please allow 30 days processing from the date that the Board has a complete, routine application.
Please mail me a applacation for security guard license
855 N Dobson Rd Ap. 2065
Chandler, AZ 85224