In order to become an unarmed security officer or security guard in the state of Maryland, there are a few minimum requirements which must be met first.
Anyone who wishes to be licensed as an unarmed security guard, must meet and maintain the following qualifications:
- The applicant applying must be at least 18 years of age.
- The applicant must be a citizen or legal resident of the United States ; proof will need to be provided.
- The applicant must not have any felony convictions.
- The candidate will have an FBI style background check.
- Fingerprints and 2 passport sized colored photos of the applicant’s head and shoulders are required.
- An accurately completed application form is a must.
- A check or money order for a nonrefundable application fee of $15 plus payment for the cost of the fingerprint card record checks ($10-Application ; $19.95-FBI Record Check)
- Checks or money orders shall be made payable to the Maryland State Police.
The unarmed guard will need training in the state of Maryland, but won’t be trained in the effective use of guns or use of force. They will be trained in subjects such as writing reports, dealing with the public, keeping the peace in a crowded situation as well as working with authorities in a qualified manner.
The unarmed security guard in Maryland will need to be authorized according to the state’s legal requirements and code 29.04.01.02.
Anyone who wishes to be licensed as an armed security guard in the state of Maryland, must be at least 21 years old, go through a training course that includes fire arms training and investigative techniques, and meet the same qualifications as an unarmed security guard with the following exceptions:
- There are prior prosecutions that will prevent an individual in the state of Maryland from official recognition and recruitment as an armed security guard and they are:
- Criminal offense prosecutions which include criminal offenses of physical violence such as abduction, arson, robbery, house-breaking, kidnapping, wrongful death and homicide.
- Individuals that have previously been found guilty of chronic drunkenness or rape.
The armed security guard can be rejected as a result of falsification of application information.
For more information applicants may also visit:
Maryland State Police
1111 Reisterstown Road
Pikesville, MD 21208
Phone: (410) 653-4500 (800) 525-5555